Bake-off proposal (was Re: [CNET] Web services -- a 2001 thing?)

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 06:58:44 PST

Mark, why don't we have a bake-off?

I'll specify an application that's well-suited to SOAP, and I'll implement
and document it and provide a client that runs in Radio, and I'll get
someone to port it to Python and post the results on
http://python.scripting.com/. Of course it would be equally easy to write a
client in Perl, or Java, or whatever.

Then you'll implement the same application using nothing but HTTP. To
qualify your application will have to be documented and provide a sample
client written in a different language from the one you wrote the server in.

Then we'll have a basis for discussion.

What do you think?

Dave