[NYT] Tax-Law Shift Gives Investors Tricky Choice on Asset Sales.

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 02:49:03 PST

I wonder if the market devastation on January 2 resulted in closing
prices that in the aggregate significantly affect the below...

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out what this article is really
saying. Why do tax laws have to be so friggin complicated?

> Tax-Law Shift Gives Investors Tricky Choice on Asset Sales
> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/03/business/03TAX.html
>
> January 3, 2001
>
> By FLOYD NORRIS
>
> This is the year when the government thinks many investors will
> decide to voluntarily pay taxes that they do not owe.
>
> Amazingly enough, that will be a good idea for some investors. For
> others, it would be completely foolish.
>
> The decision depends in large part on what the investment was
> worth at the close of trading January 2, which is why investors
> may want to save the stock tables in January 3's paper to know what
> that value was.
>
> The unusual tax situation stems from Congress's decision to change
> the capital gains tax law to give an additional break on assets
> held for at least five years. The top capital gains rate on assets
> held for more than a year remains at 20 percent, but it falls to 18
> percent for those held for more than five years.
>
> That sounds simple enough, but Congress made it complex. There are
> radically different rules for people in different tax brackets, and
> because the bracket of a taxpayer may change from year to year, the
> rules affecting that investor may do the same.
>
> For investors in the 28 percent or higher tax bracket -- a group
> that will include most taxpayers with the ability to take
> substantial capital gains -- the new law allows the 18 percent
> maximum tax rate only for assets acquired in 2001 and after.
>
> So as a general rule, if an investor bought a stock in 1999 and
> sells it in 2006, that investor would still face the maximum
> capital gains rate of 20 percent. But Congress offered that
> investor an out, albeit one that costs money up front.
>
> The law states that an investor may make a "deemed sale" at the
> value of the asset yesterday, the first business day after the
> five-year period took effect, and then buy the asset back at the
> same price. Then tax would be owed on the "profit" taken by the
> investor, but later gains in the asset, assuming it was held for
> five more years, would be taxed at the lower 18 percent tax rate.
>
> Theoretically that applies to any assets the investor holds that
> would qualify for capital gains treatment. But for many assets
> without a ready market, that would require an appraisal and the
> possibility of an Internal Revenue Service challenge as to whether
> the value was realistic. So in practice, it is likely that most
> investors will use it primarily for stocks. The Jan. 2 value is set
> by law at yesterday's closing price.
>
> To make the decision about whether to make a deemed sale,
> investors will have to calculate the basis in a stock -- that is,
> what was paid for the stock, including commissions paid. It is
> worth noting that an investor may have different bases for
> different blocks of the same stock that were bought at different
> times. Moreover, if an investor is in a dividend-reinvestment plan,
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

NEW YORK -- Stocks surged Wednesday after a surprise interest-rate cut by the Federal Reserve soothed worries about earnings and the slowing economy, which have dogged Wall Street for months. Bond prices sank.

The Nasdaq Composite Index posted its biggest one-day gain ever in point and percentage terms, jumping 324.83, or 14.2%, to 2616.69. The rally, which came after the index dropped 7.2% Tuesday to its lowest close since March 3, 1999, easily tops its previous record surge of 274.05, or 10.5%, on Dec. 5.

The decision marked the first decrease in rates in two years. Starting in June 1999, the Fed embarked on a year-long campaign of rate increases meant to cool the economy to forestall inflation. The Fed had left rates unchanged since May following a string of six increases, and only last month stated that the threat of an economic slowdown outweighed the threat of inflation.

Dow Jones 10945.75 +299.60 NASDAQ 2616.69 +324.83

-- http://www.quicken.com/investments/news/story/djbn/?story=/news/stories/dj/20010103/on20010103000571.htm