Guardian Unlimited | Netnews | How to make a Fortune on the quiet

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 12:07:04 PST

Consistent #11, above eBay and many others...never heard of 'em... :-)

Peter Macnee, president and CEO, says:
"I guess we are the least known big internet company in the world. I'm
proud of it. ... We are better off putting our resources towards
building a good business."

http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,414054,00.html

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **

Guardian Unlimited | Netnews | How to make a Fortune on the quiet
Guardian Unlimited
The Guardian
Go to:
Guardian Unlimited
Home UK latest World latest Special reports Audio Talk Search Help
 The Guardian Newslist The wrap Columnists Net news The weblog Quiz

Net news

  Search this site
  Tools
Text-only version
Send it to a friend
Read it later
See saved stories

 Related stories
Toyzone struggles to survive

Letsbuyit bought it - and how

Sting in the e-tail will worry online profiteers

The big con

Online auctions - bidder beware

BT adds financial research to website armoury

Fashionable attention paid to Boo's buyer

Don't burst the dot.com bubble

Napster masters harmony with leading indie label

Lo makes familiar pitch with a difference - revenues

Intel inside the portable gadget market

Letsbuyit faces abyss as rescue talks fail

Software star delivers body blow

On message

Neuer Markt

Old economy to make a comeback

Much more than a bubble

BT begins to let its rivals in

Letsbuyit problems add to dot.com gloom

Start-up backers suffer flagging fortunes

The year dot.com turned into dot.bomb

Business: How eToys crashed

Doubts over big signing

Lucent piles on tech woes

How to make a Fortune on the quiet

NewMedia makes £46m writedown

Vodafone insists BT is an ally in Tokyo

QXL joins the 99% club

Zone sues BT over unmetered access

On message

Business: BT rivals rough up Bonfield at loop hearing

How PlayStation 2 is helping us rule the roost

Comment: Unions.dot.com

Durlacher admits big losses lie ahead

Workers click to avoid the crowds

Daily Mail shrugs off declining profits to keep spending

Egg ready to challenge IF

Desmond sells the Express websites for £1

Today's big issue is the net

E-bank plan halted for a Goldfish evolution

Dot.com workers tempted by unions

Autonomy takes Japan

Quiet plodders beat dot.com dashers

Media Guardian: Trinity Mirror launches showbiz wesbite

Media Guardian: Express websites to be axed?

Into the Silicon valley of hope they gallop

Goldman trims Microsoft forecast

Late chips knock BATM for £600m

Infogrames buys ailing Hasbro games outfit

Second sight: Rethinking the future

Confetti sweeps up wedding competitors

Merrill may have got it Plum wrong

SurfControl

On message

UPC shake-up to follow failure of $5bn Excite merger

e-briefs: on message

Oftel tries to cut loop deadlock

Radiant picks up the net access slack

At this price? Dataflex

Business: Glimmer of hi-tech hope from two fallen stars

Business: Lastminute says patience will pay dividends

E-business: need a leased line?

Media Guardian: Can Emap jump its Q on to the net bandwagon?

@large

Jobs and Money: Online finance

Jobs and Money: Net dealers

QXL raises £30m but staff must go

Better communications

How going online can help farmers

Increased efficiency is a click away

Websites for SMEs

Getting the message through

Signing up for the e-revolution

Can e-tail cash in this year?

techMARK 100 tumbles to new low

Learning curve

PlayStation2 delay does nothing to console Eidos

Bookham leads hi-tech drop

Lloyds treads softly in Spain

Business: I2S halts flotations

Business: Microsoft says trial infected with error

Business: Pres.net follows in Santa's sleigh tracks

From start-up to dot woe

Desmond to axe Express websites

More dash than full stop for dotcoms

Fibrenet share price tumbles

Teamtalk charges ahead

Another bad day in the Brink affair

Founder Joe de Saram absent as Rhodium folds owing £1m

Second sight

Wanadoo seen as likely bidder for Freeserve

Jakob's ladder to web wealth

On message

Business: News Analysis

Dot.coms battle to buck the downhill trend

Ban on Yahoo! Nazi site

E-briefs

Arnault joins Suez in 3G bid

BT hots up tech firm incubator

Comment: No IT, no comment

Early bidder will be booking a bargain ticket

Tenors online

Bluetac to sell off financial website

TheStreet hits dead end in UK

Scoot stays positive despite doubled loss

Consumers pay the price in 3G auction

Cyberspace is about to arrive on the doorstep

Mysis bucks the start-up trend

TheStreet turns bumpy for UK site

Net news: MP3.com tries again

Bubble bursts for Interactive Investor

EU rules blamed for adding £500 to price of a car

C&W wants to go spending

Nasdaq dives as investors flee

Net shopping boom as Britons go online

Three boldly go to market

Dotcom world's wizards are in the pink

Dimension Data profits rise 62%

Sportingbet will use AIM entry to fund expansion

E-markets struggle to win trust

Pre-budget statement: Start-ups

Pre-budget statement: Incentives

Lavazza wires caffeine to the web

Software firm's fortunes turn

Starting up on the net: Rools co-founders

Who wants to be an e-millionaire?

Why pets don't win any prizes

Anxious times for the revolution

Gameplay performs

Shoppers may vote with their mice

QXL opens bidding with live Wembley auction

Attempt to make avatars more convincing

Queen invests in record label run by anti-royalist

Leader: dot.com slump

Boo! I'm back

Comment: Edmond Warner on corporations' astuteness

Grey power makes a dot.comback

Finding your ideal home is easier online

Hi-tech jitters hit home

Credit Suisse joins MSN portal

Nortel tremours hit hi-tech indices

Boo is reborn in confident fashion

On message

Buying virtual bargains

Microsoft spins $1bn web relaunch to challenge AOL

Nations united in trade

QXL.com needs a lifeline if it is to stay afloat

Cashing in on the kids

Nortel fallout hammers tech stocks

Reuters links with banks in FX deal

Oftel proposes shared local access

Cheer for Amazon as losses ease

Autonomy makes deal with NTT

Cyber-rabbi to go global

Consumer experts online - at a price

US praises Blair for hi-tech successes

Funding rumours boost QXL shares

AltaVista must find new chief

Comment: The rise and fall of e-business

People need banking - not banks

BT fails to call Genie out of bottle

C&W adds Baynton to stable

Parthus chip sends share price smartly upward

Sun's shine bolsters Nasdaq

EMI takes secure stride on download path

BT to offer 'free' off-peak calls

Nasdaq bubble slowly deflating

Debenhams fights back

On message

Business: Egg expands

Business: Ebookers sales up

Starting up

No post is just fine for IBM

Beware e-powered consumers

Vauxhall aims for net gain in fresh car wars campaign

Thanks for the tip

New horizons for Time

Bears savage tech stocks

Business: 300p a share 'will buy Freeserve'

Business: Boxman races against time for survival

ARM acts to break mobile dependency

Business: E-briefs

Business: Hoover's Online sweeps into Europe

Business: Going down

IT may be secret of painless growth

Leighton joins Lastminute

City briefing

'Nobody wanted to hear about risk amid the euphoria'

Web veg for city dwellers

Caught between a crash and a hard landing

Online retailers forced to the brink

A study in failure

Teamtalk wins deal with AOL

Logica's £370m woos Germans

MediDesk targets doctors

At this price? Lastminute.com

Business: For you the war is never over

Business: Mezzanine sashays out of dance music site

On message

QXL price is bid down

Business: Acorn refugees sell for £400m

Business: Hewitt backs Oftel on local loop

Business: New computer bill that probes too much

Winterflood nets £3m bonus

Business: Orange challenges

Cahoot 'giveaway' gauntlet to IF

The new economy must come of age

UK needs the right e-envoy

Online bank goes live - but by phone only

Can the Yanks still pull it off?

Negroponte invests in web swap shop

On message

At this price? Inflexion

Give it your best shot

Will you pay? That's the real question

Lastminute.com signs Amex deal

Vic Chandler started a betting revolution by moving to Gibraltar

Diary of a Dot.com

Internet loyalty scheme hits UK

Internet auctions spur trade in grisly murder souvenirs

Dot.com dominance

Heavy going forecast for the betting shop

The supermarket that delivers

Boots will post your snaps on the web

On message

Virtual Internet triples turnover

Business: Baltimore steps up security with Content buy

Scramble begins for Europe

Doing the big deal

An easier way to turn clicks to cash

Israeli telecoms darling takes a tumble in Nasdaq's wake

At this price? EasyNet

Lastminute lock-up

On message

Scoot files 'dirty tricks' dossier

Web watch: Domain names

Tiscali buys out World Online

Next click, France

American will head BT Cellnet

Is a new internet credit card for kids a good idea ?

Threat to $130bn AOL deal

Results row hits Sema shares

Consumers are in the high-speed driving seat

Clickmango rescue effort fails

£11,000 a week buys a bargain

Vivendi adds to Scoot's buying power

It's all herd again, with very little seen

Business: Net hotels reverse bunker mentality

Net traders locked out of stock market

Jungle.com sold for £37m

On message

GUS to pay £36m for Jungle.com

Bullish 365 ready to snap up ailing rivals

Is Europe moving too fast?

Doomed AltaVista chief quits

Letsbuyit cuts 20% of staff despite sales surge

Letsbuyit.com announces job losses

Letsbuyit.com announces job losses

Atos-Origin deal creates new IT player in Europe

Need to know: Jacqueline Rouse

Ford joins dealers to sell online

Game-swap teenage pioneer feels the Napster effect

Driving a hard web bargain

Enterprise Asia board tries to discredit predator

Amazon car sales face bumpy road

Treasury taps new store of airwave riches

FSA orders net blackout on share tips

On message

Shell collectors scan Israel

Cool operators make hay as net sun shines

QXL pays less for rival to keep expansion on track

Flooz flirts with British launch

Financial news sites merge with web host

Li deal dashes C&W hope of £5bn to spend

Freecom.net blues

Should the web create its own money?

Who still dares to venture?

Freecom jumps 14% after chief resigns

Freeserve in slow lane

Sale QXL could do without

Big banks join Reuters for online forex venture

Internet share deals down by a third

WPP reports first half £1.2bn

On message

Dixons deal sees Freeserve and Gameplay link up

We go shopping to buy an insight into the teenager's mind

Dot.com down-side comes home to California

In legal eyes, 3i and iii may be the same

QXL.com partner wavers

Amazon joins Toys R Us online

Users log on less to iii

Fledgling Mondus raises £100m with sale of 40% stake

Sitting on the stock of eBay

Netting new customers

Durlacher subsidiary KVault Software a success

Hi-tech devices keep manufacturing afloat

On message

EC gives e-commerce exchange the go-ahead

Leader: Britain has not got the hang of online retail

Ailing health e-tailer wins reprieve

Barclays buy into Linq

Fears over relaunch of lastminute.com dismissed

On message

Autonomy makes case for fast growth

Lastminute.com makes £9.3m loss

Baltimore Technologies sales boom spans globe

ICL scraps float plan

City briefing

Bigsave.com shelves stock market listing

Brussels grapples with B2B question

On message

Redstone targets ISP purchase

Sony and DoCoMo forge net links

On message

Toad gears up for in-car television

Competition blamed for Thus troubles

Phone delays hit Filtronic revenue

Pearson undermines a moribund tradition

Clickmango founders seek new ventures

Starting up on the internet

Plastic protection from online demons

Investor nervousness cuts iTouch value by half

Corner shops to aid online purchasers

What's new

New economy, old equity

Forbidden's progress takes market cap to £188m

Reading between the online perks

BSkyB poaches Adidas chief

Any fool can create their own e-commerce site. Many do so

Mitchell to join internet incubator venture

Letsbuyit goes for cut-price flotation

Accidental millionaires sell First Tuesday

Why shoppers shy away from the net

Conveyancing website aims to cut gazumping and stress of moving home

Net millionaires are raring to go

Web homes in with sales war

Internet investors really dig the mines

Later on a Sunday for Tesco's online shoppers

Virgin's train site loses net hallmark

Virtual video's inventor faces web fadeout

How to make a Fortune on the quiet

It is more successful than eBay, is ranked 11th in the world, and has 600 million page views a month. So why has no one ever heard of FortuneCity? Victor Keegan finds out
Net news

Thursday December 21, 2000

It was 8.40am and my breakfast guest, Robin Caller, delayed by trains, finally arrived. Our meeting had been postponed so many times that I had to ask him to remind me what the reason for it was. He told me the company he worked for was a British web start-up that felt it had not really got the credit that it perhaps deserved.

Oh dear, I thought to myself, not another one of those. How many page impressions does your site get each month, I asked, to keep the conversation going. I thought he said 600 and I replied: "Six hundred?"

"Yes," he said."Six hundred... six hundred million."

"Six hundred million?" I gasped. "Hang on, that would would put you up in the global league." (Lastminute.com, forcomparison, had 38 million page impressions in October.)

"Yes," replied Caller, European commercial director, for the company in question, FortuneCity. He added that it was the 11th most popular web site in the world, according to the authoritative Media Metrix ratings for August.

I later checked this out and confirmed that FortuneCity was indeed ranked number 11 in the world, putting it at the top end of the web's Premier Division - behind the likes of Microsoft, AOL and Yahoo, but only one place behind Amazon and three places ahead of eBay, the very successful net auction house. According to Media Metrix, FortuneCity had 15.3 million unique users in August.

Not bad for a company started less than four years ago by five people in a back room off Kensington High Street in London, close to an alleyway occupied by tramps. FortuneCity's core product is free web building space, which comes with 100MB of free storage for each user. It earns its revenue mainly from banner adverts.

In contrast to the millions of pounds spent on promotion by the likes of Lastminute.com and Boo, it has got where it has with little advertising - and no one seems to know when an article was last written about it. They think it was about two years ago.

Caller, who got his job in response to a tiny advertisement in Media Guardian, admits: "To some extent we have been successful in spite of ourselves". You can say that again.

Peter Macnee, president and CEO, says: "I guess we are the least known big internet company in the world. I'm proud of it. There are a lot of small, unsuccessful, internet companies that everyone knows about... In the last couple of years there have been a lot of internet companies that spent a majority of their time on public relations campaigns. They were the poster boys of the good times and now they are the poster boys of the bad times. We are better off putting our resources towards building a good business. I'm happy that we are not the poster boys of the bad times and that we are not used as an example of the death of the dot.com age."

FortuneCity was started by Dan Metcalfe who, inspired by the success of the US web-building company Geocities, started a UK variant. The company enabled users to build their own web sites, including the facility to build virtual homes and cities and be part of a community with its own elected mayor. Its slogan was: FortuneCity for the people by the people. Dan and his brother Jeremy, who between them have 40% of the shares, are still active on the board even though they brought in professionals such as Macnee, to run the company.

FortuneCity has an eerily quiet London base with pine floors and whitewashed walls at the end of a cul-de-sac in part of the BBC's former Woodstock studios in Shepherds Bush. The official headquarters have been moved to New York to be part of the pioneering US scene.

Following an equity issue on the German (Duer) market, nearly 30% of the shares are now owned by German citizens. The biggest remaining shareholder with 12.5% is Time Warner whose own website was four places behind FortuneCity in August at number 15.

Metcalfe fondly remembers the early days when it was a case of just trying to keep up with the growth. Every time he pressed the "reload" button on his computer he found that two or three more new members had registered - a growth that was soon to be measured in thousands, then millions. In the early days the company shared computer facilities with various small internet service providers and he had to drive the company's computer round to different locations in a Beetle.

The amazing thing about FortuneCity is how has it managed to be so successful with low-key promotion. It has had no advertising at all for the past eight months since the company retrenched and cut staff in the face of the impending downturn in the capital-raising markets - yet it claims that new users have continued to register at around 4,000 a day.

The secret is a combination of "viral" (as in virus) and "guerilla" marketing. Viral marketing is mainly passive - when the message is passed by word of mouth or by email from user to potential user. FortuneCity assists this by feeding one of its properties from another. If someone registers on the FortuneCity site they are offered a V3 domain name and they may then opt for the newsletter, thereby fuelling the organic nature of the business.

V3, acquired by FortuneCity last year, claims to be the world's largest provider of redirect services, personalised website URLs and matching email addresses. FortuneCity also owns Hotgames, the gaming site, and Gelon, a well-regarded Wap company, though none is branded with FortuneCity's name. Gareth Williams, director of European operations, says a lot of users will be using a FortuneCity site without actually knowing it.

Guerilla marketing is highly active. It aims to get FortuneCity's name as high as possible on the internet's search engines because they are the main way people find their way around the web. Alan Mills, known within the company as "king of the search engines", spends nearly all his time engaging in cat-and-mouse tactics with the software engineers employed by the likes of AltaVista, Google and AskJeeves to secure maximum exposure on the web's huge network. A dozen search engines account for 90% of the total traffic.

He demonstrated by getting "Free web pages" and "Free web page" typed into AltaVista's search engine - and FortuneCity emerged in first or second place out of nearly 200,000 references. A similar search on Google put FortuneCity in 10th place out of 765,000 references to free web pages. Part of the strategy, he said, was to get FortuneCity's name in the titles and meta tags which appear near the top of the code behind a web page. But search engines were getting more sophisticated and often weighted sites by the number of other links pointing to your site. "You don't know what criteria they are using, but you can work it out by trial and error. That's my job."

FortuneCity has been spectacularly successful in building a global customer base. It now has almost 20m unique users (compared with 2.2m for lastminute.com, one of the UK's better known sites) and claims to be still expanding by 5% to 10% a month. It has 130 employees including 55 in Europe.

Its market share is stronger the further away it is from the biggest western markets (partly because of its emphasis on local language sites). Its market reach in the UK (measured by the proportion of the internet population using its site a month) is 9.4% and in the US 9.9%. In Germany it is 17.4%, in France 16.8%, in Japan, 15.3%, in Canada 15.7%, in Australia, 12.4% and in Hong Kong a startling 43.2%.

FortuneCity is one of the very few internet companies that has a leading market position in all the main world markets. It is a position that many other web companies can only dream about.

But, as most dot.com companies know to their cost, it is one thing to attract users to your site, especially when you are offering something for nothing, but quite another to convert the user base into revenue and profits. Revenues (mainly from banner advertising) in the first nine months of 2000 increased by 90% over the previous year to $9m. But losses over the same period rose from $14.7m to $32.7m.

The company claims to have taken corrective action. It cut staff by 40% earlier in the year when the climate changed for the worst in the capital markets, and drastically cut its spending on advertising and marketing. It has still got $26m cash in the bank from the $97m it raised when it went public and reckons that its "burn rate" (the rate at which it is losing money raised from investors) is down to $1.2m a month - enough, it is claimed, to see it through until 2002 when it hopes to break even. Peter Mcnee says the company was lucky, or smart enough, to raise capital early on and cut back its operations quicker than others who are now cutting back almost every day. This has left FortuneCity, he says, with enough money to "power through".

Not everyone agrees. Lehman Brothers says that the 40% recovery in FortuneCity's share price on Monday last week (it happened on the day Online was visiting the company!) was "not justified" and is concerned that it has cut its operating expenses to a minimum and that there are very few resources for growth. Lehman adds: "We are becoming increasingly concerned with the deteriorating revenue outlook_ We retain our Underperform rating."

Macnee claims that Lehman's analyst has done little to get to know the business and says that they have given Vitiminic, which has a market capitalisation three to four times larger than FortuneCity's, a better rating despite the fact that its revenues in the third quarter were less than 10% of FortuneCity's. "The reality," he says, "is that the institutional investment community has soured on the vast majority of business-to-business and business-to-consumer businesses."

Although the company is dependent on banner advertising at present, Macnee predicts that advertising in this medium will change dramatically in the next six months with access to broadband advertisers, including technologies like streaming audio and video. "It's going to be much more like a television kind of advertising with interactive capabilities_ before you are able to see the content you are looking for, you may have to sit through a five second commercial instead of a static banner."

He admits this is a bit contrary to FortuneCity's alternative culture, but adds: "I think there is a general rain check going on out there - that the great things that the internet can deliver can't come for free."

That is true, but it remains to be seen to what extent the punters agree. After all, if FortuneCity, with all its users, does not manage to generate enough revenue to cover its outgoings, what sort of message would that send out to everyone else?

UP

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2000