Re: Organizine shuts down one week after its launch

From: Rahul Dave (rahul@reno.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 10:51:49 PST

Perhaps the correct model, atleast for broadband connected people, is to
have each person host their own web application, for a software charge or
for free depending upon your preference and on what underlying software you
use, and charge for upstreaming or 'caching' at 24/7 servers...

This way you dont have to maintain, and when you do, you charge.

As far as the personal web server(by which I mean also the means to edit, like
RU for example) is concerned, I liked Netscape's original model: free for
non-commercial, non-free for commercial, but shrinkwraps available even for
noncommercials with value adds..

Shrinkwrap is expensive though. In Humane interface Jef Raskin talks about
the basic data and methods being sold at a reasonable upfront price (or
perhaps even free), with bundles of additional methods being paid for as needed.
Rahul
I got this from you: