Re: Ceiva experiences anyone?

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 18:39:42 PST

Matt Jensen wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I know someone who gave a device like this to the grandparents when the
> grandchild was born. The grandparents love it. The downside is that they
> expect fresh pictures every day. (I'll forward this to my friend in case
> he has extra comments.)

I had a distributor that was trying to sell this to me several months ago. I
looked at it then and like it, but with twin problems of price and LCD viewer
I wouldn't buy it.

I saw a product at the CES show that was less developed, but possibly points
to a better solution: use the TV for viewing in a very inexpensive box. They
had a small box with a floppy and video output that sold for $99. They also
sold reference designs, which they mentioned when I pointed out that a CDrom
was more interesting.

Adding a modem to it and following the Ceiva model is even better.

My point is that a less than perfect LCD (which is expensive anyway) is
probably not as good as TV output, especially for vision challenged elderly
grandparents.

Odd that they were so enamoured of LCD vs. video out. I would have produced
two models initially or even the video version first.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net                 sdw@insta.com                 swilliams@Jabber.com
Stephen D. Williams         Insta, Inc./Jabber.Com, Inc./CCI     http://sdw.st