What Userland Menas By "The Two-Way Web".

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 14:51:36 PST

Okay, some people complained about John Robb from Gomez's description of
The Two-Way Web. Still, I think it moved the dialogue forward, and for
that I am grateful. I'm also thankful for your comments.

To add to the dialogue, here's what Dave Winer means by 2WW...

> I just got this screen shot from Adam [Curry], indicating that he is
> now getting The Dead over RSS:
> http://www.scripting.com/images/adamGetsTheDead.jpg
> These bootstraps require patience. An event that happens once every 24
> hours on someone else's machine can be difficult to debug. But we're now
> in blade-popping mode on this little project. Adam wants this as much as
> I do, that's why the project is working. It takes two. And it's even
> worse than it appears..
> Adam plopped a 19 megabyte Quicktime movie into my enclosures folder
> last night. It took 1218.833 seconds to download at 2:04:13AM. I clicked
> on it on my Log page. It played. No wait. Yes!
> This is what we mean by "The Two-Way-Web."
> BTW, "plopped" is the sound that a 19 megabyte file makes. Our memory
> management needs some refinement now that we're receiving such large
> things over HTTP.
> But this is what I get up in the morning for. Some people do it for
> world peace, others like to debate in the Senate, or file a patent,
> drive a cab, teach some kids, make a cheesecake, or pitch an excellent
> baseball game. I like walkie-talkie sets made out of software.

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?