Re: Interview with David Wetherell of CMGI

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 13:59:56 PST

Bill Humphries writes:
> Open Text's site is sparse on the history of their spider, but it's part of
> their current Livelink product.
> The Open Text search engine was running in fall of 1995, and I do have saved
> correspondence from
> the manager of the product because I had interviewed with them to be a
> statistician.

In searching for prior art on these things, it might be useful to look
at pre-web search engines --- archie for ftp, and veronica and jughead
for gopher. AFAIK, none of these searched full text, but Archie and
Veronica both did automatic spidering of a sort and could be used to
provide prior arts for at least some conceivable patent claims.

rst