Economic predictions anyone?

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@cse.ucsc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 10:18:36 PST

OK, as you're all quite aware, I'm no economist. But, I do recall that,
just about every time an economy experiences a significant rise in energy
costs, it results in an economic slowdown. Due to the California power
crunch, the cost of electricity to consumers in California has just
increased significantly over the past few months. Since this affects a
sizeable economy (that of the State of California), I'm thinking it is
reasonable to expect an economic slowdown in California, and perhaps across
the entire US, in the coming months.

Anything wrong with this logic?

- Jim