[Fwd: P2P microrant (in honor of the P2P conference :-) )]

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 16:20:57 PST

Thanks, David!

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@" virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **

attached mail follows:

> Tom Whore wrote: > Its stated in the opening paragraphs. The number of us who grew up > with the idea of Network in our heads is slim to rare. The idea of > Controlaable Profits from the UNIT is still the main view.

I suspect that many of us would secretly prefer to think of uncontrollable profits from the NETWORK. Exponential explosions are a wild ride.

Speaking of a bias towards the UNIT, did anyone else detect a distinct bias towards the UNIT in the discussion of favorite books on programming earlier this month? (OK, there was some Occam...)

In honor of Strata's wonderful microrant, I put forth:

1) "How to Write Parallel Programs" by Carriero and Gelernter 2) "Actors" by Gul Agha 3) "The Connection Machine" by Danny Hillis 4) "OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol" by John Moy

These books articulately cover programming networks, rather than units. I'd guess that they are still useful enough...

Others? Has anyone got favorite articles or books on P2P?

-- David Stutz