Re: UCSC Grad. student "saviour" of genome project

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 13:49:01 PST

Antoun Nabhan writes:
> I don't know what GeneAssembler was written in, but I'll ask around. I'm
> told that it was run on a Beowulf cluster, which is pretty cool considering
> that Celera has a very expensive 1.2 Tflop cluster of Compaq Alphas running
> DEC Unix. Celera is building a 100 Tflop machine along with Sandia Nat'l
> Labs and Compaq.

See http://genome.ucsc.edu --- which reports authoritatively that the
computation was run on a 100-Pentium cluster running Linux. It
doesn't offer source anywhere I can see, but does show excerpts of C
code in an appendix to the writeup of the algorithms.

BTW, the output is stored for public viewing (via a web-based browser)
in MySQL...

rst