Re: Does "Goodbye Netscape 4.x" mean "Goodbye Netscape"?

From: Joachim Feise (jfeise@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 09:55:58 PST

Rob Drimmie wrote:

> But see, part of the point of the push to upgrade is that many users _don't_
> know when to upgrade, many users aren't even aware that an upgrade path is
> out there.

Well, many users deliberately avoid updating, because they have experienced
something called "DLL Hell", i.e., incompatible libraries installed by
updates cause other programs to stop working.

An old quote from the Economist reinforces my point:
"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in
no other consumer product."
    Economist, Sept. 12 1998

-Joe