RE: in shock

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 13:57:19 PST

The nice thing about dying of a terminal illness is that they don't often
do autopsies. I'm sure that if someone suspected that a death was
assisted and was determined to try to prove it/prosecute the assistor, it
could be done in this state, but I think that in most cases of euthenasia
in states where it is prohibitted, it is asked for by the patient AND the
family, and noone is the wiser. I think that when it comes to choices
like this, it is an abomination for the state to interfere and force
people to die without dignity and grace, and I also think that it is
pretty scary that people feel like they have to actually follow this kind
of rule, at such a powerfully personal point in their lives. DISCLAIMER:
I'm not talking about fine-line issues such as chronically depressed
patients asking for assisted suicides; I'm talking about patients with
terminal diseases for which there is no cure or hope for any more moments
of quality life left.

--
"Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases, think for yourself." --Doris Lessing,
British writer