I'm coming up on 18 years (17 yrs, 11.5 mo) of work history since I left
college in March of 1983. I just went back over my resume and realized
that over those years, I've spent:
- 5.5 years on W2 at a fixed salary
- 11.5 years on W2 or 1099 at an hourly rate
- 1 year plus/minus a month, Not Earning Money (approx):
- ~3 months (1.5+.5+1) on hourly rate, chose not to bill
- ~2 months (1+1) on hourly rate, stiffed by clients
- ~5 months (4 (1990) + 1 (2000)) on sabbatical
- ~3 months (not contiguous) chasing or waiting for jobs
- (I'm not counting vacations I took while working,
just "blips" in the system.)
Of the past 10 years of work history, only 21 months have been spent
as a salaried employee.
I think I need to factor that in when deciding whether I should take
this latest job (employee), or see if they'll extend the contract.
I've been saying for years that I just prefer consulting, but I hadn't
realized how thoroughly I had voted with my feet so far.
[Career? I have a career? I thought I just had good work-avoidance
habits. :-) ]
-- ======================================================================== Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ] strata "@" virtual.net VirtualNet Consulting http://www.virtual.net/ ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration ** =========================================================================
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Fri Apr 27 2001 - 23:18:11 PDT