[Red Herring] Gene Mania? Enough already!

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@knownow.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 20:36:48 PST

Score one for science...

    http://www.redherring.com/insider/2001/0216/tech-genome021601.html

> Gene mania? Enough already!
> By Stephan Herrera
> Red Herring, February 16, 2001
>
> No doubt about it, the mapping of the human genome was a signal
> accomplishment in the history of human ingenuity. Anybody who forgot
> that point was reminded with a cattle prod last Monday when the journals
> Nature and Science put peer-reviewed copies of this map on their Web
> sites. The media, the journals, and the rival mapping efforts of the
> Human Genome Project and Celera Genomics (NYSE: CRA) made sure of
> that. If you believe the leitmotiv, this newly published genome map will
> change everything -- particularly at certain biotech firms like Celera,
> Human Genome Sciences (Nasdaq: HGSI), Doubletwist, and Incyte Genomics
> (Nasdaq: INCY).
>
> Don't believe it. For starters, it's not all that different from the
> draft human genome map originally released with equally great fanfare
> last summer. Yes, this new annotated and peer-reviewed version did yield
> new talking points, but none were quite as tectonic as the headlines
> would have us believe.
>
> FEWER GENES THAN WE THOUGHT
>
> Take the supposition that, rather than 100,000 genes, humans might in
> fact have something closer to 30,000. Estimates in that ballpark were
> published and pronounced months ago by several different researchers
> around the world. There were no press conferences nor much hullabaloo at
> the time because the authors and certainly most in the drug-development
> sector of biotech understood that the insight that matters is not the
> definitive number of genes in the genome, but rather the function of
> the proteins.
>
> "We already have the majority of all the genes we need," says Genentech
> (NYSE: DNA) senior director of research Paul Godowski. "Anyway, all you
> really need is ten good ones," adds Immunex (Nasdaq: IMNX) CEO Edward
> Fritzky, whose company subscribes to all three of Celera's genomic products.
>
> Celera president J. Craig Venter certainly knew this long before he
> started this quest three years ago. The media buzz about how Celera
> somehow has a better seat at the protein party just because it has the
> coolest database in town is just wrong. Not even Mr. Venter would boast
> such a claim.
>
> Dr. George Poste, former chief of science at SmithKline Beecham and the
> man who engineered the watershed SKB-Human Genome Sciences deal in 1993,
> puts it this way: "Many recognized that proteomics would be crucial --
> regardless of how many genes there might be -- some time ago. Nobody was
> concerned about how many genes there were in toto because it didn't
> influence the way they did research or their interest in protein-protein
> interaction, which is the real key." Red Herring has already made this
> point as well.
>
> Likewise, the information disseminated as "news" on Monday about the
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

As of the weekend of Feb. 10, Napster had 51 million users, and an average of 1.5 million of them were online at any moment. They were downloading songs at the rate of 10,000 per second, totaling more than 250 million songs downloaded during this weekend alone!

Usage was particularly high Sunday, when more than 130 million files were downloaded.

According to an ongoing Webnoize study, nearly 3 billion MP3s were downloaded using Napster software in January -- a 91% increase from September. Napster's popularity has turned the MP3 format into the "de facto standard for digital music," according to Webnoize.

"Napster and Napster-like technology is a horse that is not only out of the barn, it's frolicking in the fields and reproducing," said Guy Kawasaki, chief executive of Garage.com, a venture capital investment bank. "There's no stopping it; there's only figuring out how to utilize its immense power."

-- http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4794922.html