Re: autonomy vs dollars as a worklife theme

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 00:02:51 PST

I've been looking for work for the past month and a half, and have talked
to lots of others who are doing the same, and, while we all agree that the
job market in general SUCKS, it's not too big a deal, because contractors
can find work pretty easily. I have been juggling the 'real job'/stick
with my biz thing for a while (you've seen some of the venting in past
emails, maybe), and it seems that it's much easier to keep consulting than
it is to find a salaried job that is...and watch these next words... worth
it. Most of us are in the position to say, "No, I think I won't make that
committment," because it's just not something we believe in enough to make
that kind of jump away from the amount of control we have contracting.
Sure, job security (ahem) and other benefits that come with a W2,
salaried, 'real' job are nice, but if you're gonna do it, just decide
whether or not it's worth being tied down for. For me, that would have to
involve a product or service I REALLY believe in. For you, it seems that
you enjoy consulting enough not to settle for anything less that this, as
well. And, if a salaried position doesn't turn out to be what you need,
guess what? You can always go back. (:
P.S. Has anyone else heard the whole consulting thing referred to as a
brotherhood of some sort lately, or am I the only one?

--
"Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases, think for yourself." --Doris Lessing,
British writer