Re: Divorce: shared custody should be mandatory

From: Bill Stoddard (bill@wstoddard.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 14:08:50 PST

Stephen,
You really are interested in starting a flame war here. This topic is more
divisive than abortion and gun control put together :-)

>From my personal experience (and observations of friends) divorce where
children are involved is -usually- (not always) a recipe for the man getting
shafted but good. Not just financially (in a state where 'maintenance of
lifestyle' is the norm) but emotionally as well. I personally like the idea
of shared custody (though not always ideal for the kids) and for both parents
being required to live in the same general vicinity except under hardship
cases (no moving away with the kids).

The state has no business dictating when you can and cannot get a divorce,
though.

Bill