Re: Divorce: shared custody should be mandatory

From: Grlygrl201@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 16:01:17 PST

as thos and lisa suggest, the "correct" custody solution doesn't exist; it
will be as individual as each family and almost entriely dependent upon the
age of the children. but rarely do shared custodies work because most
parents, though i'm sure everyone has anectdotal evidence to the contrary,
bicker on after the separation. the children, already sensitized to
pre-divorce contention, have no trouble picking up on even subsonic discord.

what should be mandatory: pre-divorce family counseling for a year. post
divorce "exit interviews" with the children, performed by licensed family
therepists, to be held a few times a year for a few years. (the logistics of
this seem impossible, and may well be.)

while no therapist will say so, i would be willing to bet (a lot of money)
that most would agree with lisa that a dominant single-parent family
situation is probably the most stable.

what hasn't been addressed here: after the divorce will likely come (a)
romantic involvement(s) for the custodial parent, and then all bets are off.
do you know what the incidence of sexual abuse by a step-parent is? most
foster kids are in foster care because of a step parent or parent's s.o.
sad, awful fact.

gg

In a message dated 2/22/01 5:47:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, lisa@xythos.com