Re: The Stranger, on Eminem & Elton

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 16:37:32 PST

A possible summary:

+ Eminem's album is full of hatred.
+ Yet it's 'cartoonish', and he seems to ahte everyone.
+ Yet it can 'terrify you with its implications'.
+ Yet he took the step of asking Elton.
etc. etc. etc.

This is sooooo reminiscent of Andrew 'Dice' Clay. Maybe he's serious,
maybe he's just performing as a character. Maybe some of his fans take it
seriously and say "yes! yes! he understands what's really true!" Maybe
other fans defend him with "lighten up, it's just a joke."

So, let's imagine it's the late 80s, and the Diceman has released a
(hypothetical) album of songs. They're very clever songs, much cleverer
than his usual jokes, but full of his usual anti-woman, anti-gay messages,
and maybe to compare better with Eminem we should assume they also have
violent 'fantasies'. The album goes triple platinum instantly.

Should he be nominated for a Grammy? No really, I'm asking. Do you think
he should be nominated? And separately, *would* he be?

I think it's an interesting comparison in several ways:
+ Have the demographics and standards of the Grammys changed in
  the last decade?
+ Have the broadcast network standards changed?
+ There appears to be some overlap in Eminem's and Clay's audiences.
+ Do they use the same "I'm a performer" defense, yet also believe some
  of what they're posturing?
+ Are they both 'artists'?

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com