Re: The Stranger, on Eminem & Elton

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 11:35:33 PST

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Tom WSMF wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Matt Jensen wrote:
>
> --]This is an old argument on both sides of course, but I take the other
> --]side. I think he's glorifying misogyny and homophobia and a range of sick
> --]behaviors,
>
> What about folks like Oscar Wilde, MarkE DaSade, William Burroughs,
> Charles Bukowsky, Richard Pryor, etc etc etc

They differ from Eminem in terms of tone, explicitness, target audience,
etc.

I don't have time to comment on each one, but if you'll pick a person that
you think is the best historical analogue to Eminem, I'd be happy to give
you my opinion on whether that person ought to have been nominated for a
wax cylinder Grammy. (Assuming I'm familiar with their work.)

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle