Re: Divorce: shared custody should be mandatory

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 12:56:59 PST

Well, the parenting class isn't about particular child-raising views; it's
about effective communication. It has helped me with all relationships,
not just with children. They talk about saying what you mean, in a
non-blaming fashion, and about how to get out of argumentative situations
and head toward solution-oriented conversation. I went to two very
different places for the two classes that I took (one at the mental
health clinic, and one on Keesler AF base), and the objective was the
same, no fads, no schools, just effective communication tactics.

I dunno about you, but I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I feel I
have suddenly become wise, or a good parent. It's all trial and error.
I know that I've said a million times that I learned from my parents'
mistakes, but I've made my own very unique ones. I think we're lucky if
we get through it sane, with happy kids.