Re: one projection about the open source market

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 12:40:24 PST

Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com) wrote:
>From the trenches: I'm working on Compaq's Tru64 Unix at the moment.

Cool!

>[...] It's like coming home to find that all my
>furniture and even the carpet has been stolen. The GNU utilities are so
>transcendently far beyond the old proprietary versions that just typing
>simple commands is an exercise in frustration for me.

Now, now, it depends which ones. Compaq's C compiler compiles fast
code fast. It beats gcc on most things and by quite a margin on some.
Compaq's math libraries are so much better than the GNU ones that it's
just not funny. S'pse I should fix that some day.

Get the CD of open source/free software and install what you want. Be happy.

Rob, extensive user of Linux and Tru64.

     .-. Robert.Harley@polytechnique.org .-.
             `-' http://www.xent.com/~harley/Top.html `-'