FW: Seti falls to the knife:

From: Jeff Barr (jeff@vertexdev.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 17:22:44 PST

Oops....

Fiber cut silences SETI@Home
At about 3:30 AM PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting the
U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was cut,
apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper from other nearby cables.
The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also for
the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is located, so
the millions of participants helping to analyze data have been unable to
contact the SETI@Home servers for more than a day.
Contractors are pulling new cable now. It's expected that service to SSL
will be restored by Friday, 2 March 2001. We'll update this page as we learn
more about the progress of the repairs.