Re: [PBS] What Teens Want

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 10:04:56 PST

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Jay Gooby wrote:

> >http://adbusters.org/magazine/34/jail.html
> >
> >WATCH OR GO TO JAIL

Very interesting. Although it turns out the Maurer kids are against all
television, not just the commercials. They're trying to avoid all TV
stimulation.

The Maurer family, and others who put their comments on
http://www.tvorjail.com, seem to view TV watching as addictive and the
medium itself as dangerous or evil. I think of what 9-year-old DeborahM
wrote:

"--What I think About TV--
I think the TV is wicked, it is filthy, if you
listen to the news most of the time you might push the wrong button. Then
you see something very ungodlly. Then you look at it for a little while.
Then your bound to it with both hands and feet."

It sounds like Deborah stumbled upon Madonna doing a music video. Or
perhaps Madonna demonstrating Pilates.

Anyway, it seems from what I've read that the Maurer kids would not even
be willing to watch a videotape of a documentary, if that's the beginning
of a slippery slope into more TV watching. While I salute them for
standing up for their religious convictions, they're not against the
commercials so much as against the show content and the hypnotism of the
medium.

And speaking of Channel One, I think it's a sad, sad indicator of how
little support schools get from property owners. Schools ought to be able
to afford a few VCRs and monitors on their own. The daily Channel One
news show for kids, however, can be replaced by taping free kid-friendly
alternatives, such as CNN Newsroom[1].

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle