Re: life is beautiful - fairplay a cornerstone of humanity?

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 11:29:20 PST

> a sense of fairness is an axiom underlying what we call humanity

I could get on my cardinal virtue soapbox
and argue that "sense of fairness" and
"justice" are closely related terms, but
you all are spared in favor of yet another
of my soapboxen:

A sense of fairness is an axiom underlying
not only humanity, but also caninimity, and
equinimity, and no doubt bovinimity, etc.

Unfortunately, all of these creatures have
a sense of fairness in which what is fair
depends upon one's status, rather than on
more egalitarian principles.

-Dave