Re: Comments please

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 14:13:31 PST

Jeffrey Kay <jkay@ENGENIA.COM> wrote:

>Of course, you pay for those things. But there's a substantial amount of
>money that retailers make from the CD's they sell. I don't know what the
>delta is between the wholesale and retail prices, but it's got to be in the
>25% to 50% range.

No way! Less than 10%.

>Eliminate the retailer (and their marketing), the trucks
>and shipping, the CD manufacturing and the liner notes printing.

I was thinking more of the record company's marketing. The rest of
that is less than a dollar.

>Change the marketing strategy as a result of all of this. This may
>not all drop the actual price by an order of magnitude (as I
>suggested in the original note), but I'd bet it's pretty close.

I think you might take a tenth off, but no way will you reduce it to a
tenth in size.

>You could almost view this as an economic form of civil disobedience.

Only since the DMCA.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch      fanf@covalent.net      dot@dotat.at
PORTLAND PLYMOUTH: SOUTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6, INCREASING 7 FOR A