RE: Microsoft co-opts open source approach?

From: Phil Carmody (fatphil@altavista.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 04:22:43 PST

On Wed, 14 March 2001, "Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:
> Edward Jung sayeth:
> > Yeah, and I'd like to see most customers deal with Microsoft's NT build
> > environment...
>
> Oh, I don't know. I've seen MUCH worse.
> Building from the CDs usually is not hard.
[SNIP]

I'd like to nominate Oracle as the worst build setup ever.

In order to build an Oracle application, you have to link to oracle libraries. Oracle's libraries are interdependent, in a way that seems to change from version to version. If you have a dumb linker you will find that if you just list all the libraries you'll get unresolved symbols. You then need to find the library which contains the missing symbol, and include that library in the link line a second time. However, this addition tends to cause other new symbols to be referenced, and your link will again fail. Lather, rinse, repeat..., again and again and again.
Note - if you upgrade your version of Oracle, then you'll need to do the whole things again, as they like changing things for the sake of it.

(It's not a problem if you have an intelligent linker, for reference)

Phil

http://www.shopping.altavista.com