Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: Wayne E Baisley (wbaisley@enspherics.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 10:45:56 PST

Eugene Leitl opined:

> Damn these monkeys, and their physiognomics fixation. Trust/prestige
> should be based on interaction history, not flexing of facial tissue.

Rats, I can't get this pheromone plug-in to install.

> You could build a building for 10^6 people which is walkable.

That sounds like a place to send (naughty) avatars.

> Monkeys are just too dumb to understand the value of cooperation on
> a large scale.

Geez, 'Gene. Trying to snatch the 'insufferable smugness' title from
Beebe? ;-)

I'll probably sound like a hopeless romantic here (which my wife will
find slightly amusing), but allow me to suggest that for the next
anniversary of a close friend's significant event (wedding, birthday,
bat mitzvah, whatever), a real, made-of-atoms rose or a nice card with
your own handwriting on it will be more appreciated than something made
of bits, even ascii art in color. Even animated. And having a star
named after them doesn't cut it either.

That's just a roundabout way of saying that people are people. They
don't always do things rationally, exactly. But there's more to
self-interest than rationality. In some neighborhoods you can sell
pastel wallpaper and ranches; in others, it's got to be flocked silver
and bungalows. There may be no accounting for taste, but your
accounting must take it into account.

Free e-bumper sticker!

| Virtual is for losers |

Cheers,