[CNET] MSN Messenger 29.5 meelyun, AOL Instant Messenger 29.1 meelyun

From: Adam Rifkin (Adam@KnowNow.Com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 12:37:46 PST

In the end, we're all working for Bill...


MSN Messenger's popularity soars
By Bloomberg News
March 16, 2001, 5:15 p.m. PT

Microsoft said its program for sending short Internet messages beat out AOL
Time Warner's competing product as the most popular, according to a February

The report by Jupiter Media Metrix measured unique users during February in
12 countries and showed Microsoft's MSN Messenger with 29.5 million users
compared with 29.1 for AOL Instant Messenger, said Bob Visse, MSN group
product manager. The report was confirmed by Jupiter Media Metrix.

Microsoft would like to build momentum for its messaging program because its
research indicates that users of that program spend more time on the
company's MSN network of Web sites, increasing the prices Microsoft can
command for advertising on those sites.

Microsoft also plans to offer new products based on instant messaging and to
give outside software developers the ability to write similar programs.


While some consumers prefer the convenience of home or work delivery, others choose to pick up copies of their favorite magazines at newsstands or other retail outlets. The following chart shows the historical relationship between subscription and single copy sales. In 1999, almost 83% of total circulation was from magazine subscriptions, while single copy sales accounted for the remaining 17%. -- http://www.magazine.org/resources/fact_sheets/cs1_9_00.html

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Fri Apr 27 2001 - 23:14:19 PDT