Re: Ginger discussed on Today Show?

From: Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 05:12:24 PST

Karl Anderson writes:
> I'm not an economist, or an energy expert, though. Geege, do you
> really think that the costs of operating a car is not going to go
> through the roof as oil gets scarcer and scarcer? I only see two
> alternatives to that: clean nuclear power is discovered, or dirty
> nuclear power is subsidized even more than it is now.

There's also the development of liquid fuels which aren't
petroleum-based. I'm not usually one to take the Nazis as role
models, but their (coal-based) synfuel plants kept the death camps
going for a couple of extra years --- and there's also the possibility
of mixing up fuels based on plant products (possibly bioengineered;
that's likely to be a realistic possibility well before known fossil
fuel reserves are close to running out).

I don't own a car, and dislike car-based society, but this particular
doomsday scenario just doesn't seem believable anymore --- though in
the short term, while alternatives don't exist, we could easily be in
for some misery if the Saudis keep yanking our chain.

rst