Re: Why "progressive" tax schemes are evil

From: Tony Berkman (tberkman@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 10:16:12 PST

>Oh wait, of course, some of you are the type who feel that people should
>be shielded from thier own responsibilities and freedoms because ,
>basicaly, they arent able to deal with the consequences.
>
>Guns, education, credit...
>
>SO this is another one of those, "well for your own good we will have to
>tell you what to do, arent you so lucky we love you so?"

Spoken like a true Libertarian - John Mills would be proud. But there are
so many ugly sleazy practices in the revolving credit agency that I believe
there should be some rules and regulations in place to protect those who
don't know better. These banks bombard people with awful credit with
dubious offers and ambiguous solicitations such as "you have been
pre-approved to apply for a blah-blah gold card for just $50 a year and 21%
APR..."

In general, I tend to agree with you that people should be free to make
their own choices, but I also think there should be SOME regulation to
protect the consumer and, I think lines are regularly crossed when
revolving credit is concerned.

- tb