RE: RCFoC for March 19, 2001 - My First Supercomputer?

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 17:25:05 PST

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Jeff Barr wrote:
> > Geez. What are companies using all that storage for? Email??
> FoRK archives :-)

K2 again. Some chipmakers are keeping several daily snapshots of the
full heirarchical chip design on hand from start to finish. The fear is
of making a mistake and having to backtrack and kill the schedule.
That's a load of space, not even accounting for the many local copies
each designer may keep for variant floorplans or design strategies. The
space is there, so they use it and then some.

I imagine this happens with other industries as well.

        JTS