Re: martyrdom

From: Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 12:12:26 PST

Bill Humphries a écrit:
> In 6th grade we were introduced to a concept called "Clock Arithmetic," i.e:
> 11 + 2 = 1, 12 + 12 = 12, etc. We started with a 12 hour clock, but soon
> were playing around with 4, 6, etc. hour clocks. This was intriguing stuff,
> but I didn't understand what the use was, except for computing solar time on
> Earth, Jupiter, etc.

Yeah! I encountered Clock Arithmetic by reading on the side in
Elementary school. I was so excited that I gave a little presentation
to the rest of my class on Clock Arithmetic.

First semester of group theory was probably the most beautiful math
experience I've had. Rings are too messy for me. We used Hernstein's
book. No, wait, I'm lying, toplogy was also highly beautiful. I took
topology from Greever at Harvey Mudd. Greever wrote this wonderful
book that sadly is out of print (but you can still get copies from
www.abebooks.com fairly easily). I almost fell over when I was
watching Millenium once and one of the characters (some bright math
grad student who spontaneously combusted, or something like that) was
shown having used Greever's topology book.

Damn, I'm pissed that Millenium is off the air.

- Joe