Re: OmniSky OC Life

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 11:58:17 PST

I really want a better TCP stack and network, but my RIM is great beyond
that. I don't get two weeks on NiMH batteries, more like 2-3 days, but
with a few extra and a rapid recharger it isn't a problem.

The obvious next step is a RIM that uses CDPD without using much more
power.

Any of you stock market analysts (Adam) think that RIM is still worth
buying? Last I looked they had an astronomical valuation already.

Ciamac Moallemi wrote:

> I had a much less satisfying experience with the omnisky. I had one about a
> year ago in their beta program. Since I now have a RIM, here is one man's
> comparison:
>
> RIM advantages:
> + always on, the omnisky needs to be explicitly turned on and has no mechanism
> + better battery life, I get 2 weeks on a AA, the omnisky didn't last a
> full day
> + better coverage, the omnisky was barely usable indoors here in Boston
> + better input, I find thumbing to be much faster than graffiti for writing
> email and such
> + better form factor, it's easy to leave the RIM950 on my belt all the
> time, the omnisky modem+palm v was too big to put in my pocket or otherwise
> carry around all the time
>
> Omnisky advantages:
> + true tcp/ip device, e.g. you can run an ssh client, browse the web, etc.
> + broad range of available software since it's a palm
> + many fewer network congestion problems, my RIM is on Cingular's network
> and when the network gets congested messages can be delayed more than an hour
>
> I think the omnisky is great in principal, but practical factors forced me
> to junk it within a month. The RIM, on the other hand, only does one thing,
> but does it really well.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st