FoRKation Island, or, Prefucktual Agreements: Good Idea, Bad Idea?

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 15:04:00 PST

Really, the alternative subject above has nothing to do with this
message... just a random question. Really, there's not much content
to this message at all, it's just a delivery vehicle for an
interesting quote.

   "The sea-rovers and corsairs of the 18th century created an
"information network" that spanned
   the globe: primitive and devoted primarily to grim business, the
net nevertheless functioned
   admirably. Scattered throughout the net were islands, remote
hideouts where ships could be
   watered and provisioned, booty traded for luxuries and
necessities. Some of these islands
   supported "intentional communities," whole mini-societies living
consciously outside the law
   and determined to keep it up, even if only for a short but merry
life."

      -- Hakim Bey, from T.A.Z.

Hoist the mizzen mast! Sillyhead, look for guests! Ahoy, FoRKation
Island!

:-)

jb

PS - it's true, the stress of pre-preparing my taxes has caused me to
lose my mind. Reading Hakim Bey again. What a breath of fresh air.