Re: HTTP serving compressed content (was Re: Perl "competitor" Curl raises $52M)

From: James Hong (jhong@xmethods.net)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 20:19:02 PST

We are gzipping our html pages on hotornot.com now.. We've seen a
compression ratio of about 3:1. For browsers that don't support gzipped
content, we just send them the content uncompressed.

Haven't received any complaints from any users yet, although it has of
course increased the load on our machine. Since we ONLY serve html, and
don't serve any pre-compressed data like images, it is definitely worth the
trouble and the extra load. I'm not sure this would be true for most
websites, where images usually account for a high percentage of their
bandwidth costs.

james

---
XMethods web service listings - http://www.xmethods.net

----- Original Message ----- From: <kragen@pobox.com> To: "Andy Armstrong" <andy@tagish.com> Cc: <gojomo@usa.net>; <Morton@dennisinter.com>; <jesse@fsck.com>; <FoRK@kragen.dnaco.net> Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 6:09 PM Subject: Re: HTTP serving compressed content (was Re: Perl "competitor" Curl raises $52M)