Re: measuring linux usage

From: Tom WSMF (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 10:24:21 PST

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Justin Mason wrote:

--]The point being: in the free OS field, OS support is not necessarily tied
--]to the vendor, and in some cases is better done on a DIY basis, so it's
--]not going to show up on *any* company's books apart from your own. So
--]it's not a good way to measure Linux usage.

Thats one of the things thats been bugging me about the Linux metrics
movement. Why is Linuxx being measured as if it WAS Windows. Linux folks
should, by definition of the OS they are using, be DIYers to much more a
degree than MSers. So judging them on help call rates or need for
expensicve care package licenses is not the way to go.

I think a better tool might be the number of downloads from the MS
support/upgrades site and the downloads from Sourceforge or the varios
Distro Sites.

Also, the real worth of an OS to me is not the amount of suppor t it needs
but the amount of support it doesnt need.

Another good indicator, the "wheres the beef" quotent. Look at the
innovations thta are making a real change in things, where are they
comming from? Is it even OS specific? Is all the number counting simply a
two handed stroke fest?

      \ /
       X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
      / \ Against HTML Mail