Re: 1 meter diagonal LCD displays by 2003 for approx US $3000

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 16:22:10 PST

Reminds me of the CBS color wheel color television scheme of the 1950s.
Rube-ish, but awesome color fidelity (saw one at an NAB convention a
couple decades ago). It got rejected and NBC's system (conceived by
Fred Terman IIRC) was adopted by the FCC as NTSC because it was not
backward compatible with existing black and white sets. NTSC is an
elegant solution from the standpoint of communications theory (there's
Shannon again) but (as we all have experienced) doesn't look nearly as
good.

"Had to get the set fixed the other day. Needed a new color motor."

Maybe that's now in our future.

On Wednesday, March 28, 2001, at 09:08 PM, Strata Rose Chalup wrote:

> http://www.newscientist.com/tech/sharpshooter.jsp
>
> Philips has developed an interesting method of using a rotating prism
> to make larger displays much more manufacturable. The panel is LCOS
> (liquid crystal on silicon) and the 200 Hz rotation of the prism washes
> the RGB across the display in bands fast enough that the human
> integrates
> it (supposedly) into a single highres flicker-free image. Pretty neat.
>
> There'll be a demo of the new screen (no size given) at the Society for
> Information Display in San Jose in the first week of June.

Chuck