RE: AOL aid in an open source IM project

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 16:33:15 PST

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Steve Bush wrote:

> AOL finally got smart and combined coding and copyright practices
> together. IMHO, their solution though pisses me off is quite ingenious.

This is the same mistake many software companies make, assuming that the
tech is the way to solve problems that are not tech related at all. No
matter how you slice it, you enforce your market position with patents,
copyrights, paid of senators and rabid lawyers - not geeks.

What's slightly amusing is that MD5'ing stuff is preaty common practice
everywhere else for versioning and patching etc, but some lawyer heard about
it at AOL and put 2 and 2 together.

Too bad they didnt think of this before MSN overtook them, or before they
gave it away for free, hehe

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com