Re: Nightmare on Elm Street with Win2k Professional

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 22:35:43 PST

Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> Yes, you're right. I've heard of robocopy and have just ignored it.
> Although I must point out that if xcopy gets stuck halfway through,
> repeating it (at least with /icefkhd) just copies the remaining files.
>
> For a single huge file, copy /z is invaluable; I hope robocopy has
> picked up that functionality as well? (Restartability within a single
> file)
>
> My defense is that I learned to use xcopy in '92 and I never felt a
> need to switch to anything else.
>
> Now... the interesting question (now that I've switched to Linux)...
> what is the Linux (or BSD) equivalent of robocopy?

rsync

Does more, network enabled. Use with ssh to get great security. Highly
efficient.
There's no 'infinite retry' mode that I remember. Easy to add, easier
to just restart.

Uses a cool rolling block checksum method for intra-file updates that is
very efficient.

Companies have fought hard over this kind of remote file update system.

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams