Re: Computer biz singularity

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 01:10:33 PST

Yes, the opinion of the management academe and industry folks I know
(Wharton types) is that India, Israel, and Ireland have become "high
quality, high cost" places to do offshore development. So the search is
on for new digs, likely China (already). Places like Malaysia and
Indonesia are still thought of as "low quality, low cost" places to do
offshore development.

On Friday, March 30, 2001, at 01:41 AM, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

> At 03:35 AM 3/29/01 -0800, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
>
>> So in 2 years, we'll all be working at biotech companies becasue
>> patents ==
>> monopoly == profits. The computer hardware that isn't already made in
>> asia
>> will be (by children of course), the software will be free($) or
>> written in
>> India.
>
> The assumption behind this appears to be that software written in India
> will be dirt cheap. I'm not so sure about that, given that the ambition
> of all the big software services companies here is to become Andersen
> Consultin (gag, choke) and charge $500/hr. They're not so far away from
> getting there, too.

Chuck