Re: Nightmare on Elm Street with Win2k Professional

From: Justin Mason (jm@jmason.org)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 03:24:07 PST

Stephen D. Williams said:

> rsync
> Does more, network enabled. Use with ssh to get great security. Highly
> efficient. There's no 'infinite retry' mode that I remember. Easy to
> add, easier to just restart.
> Uses a cool rolling block checksum method for intra-file updates that is
> very efficient.
> Companies have fought hard over this kind of remote file update system.

Definitely! It's insanely good for incremental backups, esp. over a
network or over high-latency links; if you change 2 lines in a 3meg file,
only those 2 lines will be updated (well, maybe the 1k around those 2
lines, but you get the idea). Great tool.

Recommended on Windows too, it's available if you install the Cygnus
toolkit and do a web search ;)

--j.