Re: cell phones, head sets, guns, and idiots

From: Bill Stoddard (bill@wstoddard.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 06:06:04 PST

> > I suppose it would be clearly justifiable if the carjacker shot the
> > woman in the head, but maybe not. 8^(
>
> I see what you're saying, but did you see this part:
>
> "The suspect tried to escape the gunfire by diving under the SUV, but was
> shot several times and died under the vehicle with his revolver a few feet
> away on the pavement."
>
> If the suspect was no longer a threat to the victim, he loses his
> self-defense protection. I presume the relevant points would be:

You are not a very empathetic person are you ? :-) (that's a friendly jab,
not ment harshly). Can you imagine what it would be like to be in a gun fight?
If your life (or a loved ones life) is in danger, you put your opponent down
and leave no room for error. This guys body and mind went in "fight mode" and
different people get out of that mode at different times. Yea, perhaps he
could have stopped earlier, but it is a bit presumptous to nit pick because
the fact is the carjacker initiated this whole chain of events.

> It's a terrible situation however you react to it.

It is indeed terrible for all involved.

> But my understanding
> is that you have better odds if you just give them the car/wallet, and
> that is why the police recommend that

Dammit here we go again with "the average person is better off...."
statistical bullshit. Using this logic, the military and police are better
off being unarmed. Statements like this completely ignore the training of the
individual. Most of the gun owners I know are -very- good at handling
firearms. Many of them spend more time at the range (and taking firearms
handling courses) than the police or average military guy.

It annoys me to see HCI, et. al, target suburbia soccer moms with "statistics"
reporting how many "children" are killed by guns each year. What HCI doesn't
elaborate on is that "children" in some of these reports include anyone up to
20 years old. Furthermore, they don't report that most of these deaths are
15-20 year old gang members that are overly aggressive protecting their turf.
HCI is focusing on "evil guns and their evil owners" when, IMHO, the real
problem is boys growing up without fathers. It seems so damn obvious.

Repeat after me "the average person doesn't exist", "the average person
doesn't exist."

Bill