FoRKer to appear in Princeton

From: Janie Wilkins (wilkins@princeton.lib.nj.us)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 13:36:54 PST

Last fall I sent out a personal invitation to anyone on FoRK to speak at
the new program series I am coordinating for the Princeton Public
Library called "Tuesday Technology Talks". Lucas took me up on my
invitation and I am pleased to announce that he will be our featured
speaker on Tuesday April 3rd. The press release is below.
My invitation still stands.. if you are a member of the "FoRK posse" who
will be in the NJ area and would like to speak at Princeton Public
Library, just email me your topic and a brief bio and I will consider
adding you to the program listings. We don't offer much in the way of $$
(we are a non-profit, after all), but we do offer great publicity as
well as a chance to mingle with local techies and business people.
Diva

*********************** Press Release*************************
MARCH 28, 2001

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Janie Wilkins, Librarian
(609) 924-9529, Ext. 228

PRINCETON PUBLIC LIBRARY TALK FOCUSES
ON PEER-TO-PEER COMPUTER APPLICATIONS
Lucas Gonze featured at Tuesday Technology Talk program 7 p.m. April 3

The future of decentralized computer applications such as Napster will
be the topic of April’s session of the Tuesday Technology Talks series
at the Princeton Public Library. The 7 p.m. talk on April 3 is part of
the library’s celebration of National Library Week, which runs through
April 7.

Lucas Gonze, co-founder and CEO of WorldOS Corp., a decentralized
infrastructure provider, will be the featured speaker. Gonze is a
frequent commentator on decentralized computing, also known as
Peer-to-Peer (or P2P), and is founder of the decentralization listserv.

Gonze will explore a variety of P2P applications, including the most
famous, the music sharing service Napster, along with Gnutella and
Freenet. He will also discuss an interesting facet of P2P known as
"reputation management".

The monthly free programs of the Tuesday Technology Talks series examine

current and emerging technologies and related issues. The sessions
include a monthly Tech Talk report from library staff featuring a search

engine update and tips for using the library’s databases. No
registration is required and the sessions are open to everyone.

Dessert and coffee precede the programs at 6:30 p.m., offering
participants a chance to network with other Princeton-area computer
users.

The series continues May 8, when Web developer Christopher Scollo,
author of “Professional PHP Programming,” presents a program titled “Web

Site Anatomy.”

The Princeton Public Library is at 65 Witherspoon Street, Princeton
Borough. Special assistance is available for library patrons with
disabilities. Those with special needs should contact the library 48
hours before any program to arrange for accommodations. Call (609)
924-9529.

For more information on library programs and services, visit
http://www.princetonlibrary.org