Tivo, Fair Use, Video-in-the-Cloud, and Vidster

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 10:43:37 PST

Here's what I want to be able to do.

I want to be able to cut-n-paste a segment from a show on my Tivo and
send it to another Tivo user. I want to be able to search other
users' public clip files and trade clips with them. I want to build
up a library, a montage of television absurdity, and punctuate my
discourse with video poignancy and hilarity.

Call it Vidster.

Furthermore, I don't want a Tivo *box.* I have enough damn boxes.
Too many! I want 30 hours of realtime video storage and access
capacity in the cloud offered to me by my fiber-to-the-home
value-added service provider.

Of course, there's only about nine zillion problems with all that,
mostly the results of trying to translate physical property rights and
notions into the space of digital artifacts.

Sigh.

jb