Re: Grading the gov't (was Re: G & J, in cahoots?)

From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 03:08:02 PST

Antoun Nabhan <antoun@arrayex.com> writes:
> Um...what? I fly a lot. Or rather, I fly sometimes, but get stuck in
> airports waiting for delayed and eventually canceled flights a lot. The FAA
> and it's diode-era air traffic control system seem to be the biggest cause
> of this problem.

Playing libertarian for a moment, I'd be willing to spend less time
going through security checkpoints and waiting for air-traffic control
and showing my ID and answering questions about my luggage and driving
to big centralized airports and so forth in exchange for a
significantly higher risk of dying in flight due to a
poorly-maintained airplane or nutty bomber. I presently spend perhaps
ten hours per month in airplanes, which means five days per year; I
think this means I have to keep on flying for several thousand years
to get to a fifty-fifty chance of dying in transit. I'm in much more
danger from driving to the airport than I am while in flight; this is
silly.