Re: Why "progressive" tax schemes are evil

From: kragen@pobox.com
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 01:02:53 PDT

Tom WSMF <tomwhore@inetarena.com> writes:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 kragen@pobox.com wrote:
> --]Tom WSMF <tomwhore@inetarena.com> writes:
> --]> Having credit is not the same as having the fiscal fortitude to use it
> --]> wisely. This is a probelm with the end user, not the system itself.
> --]
> --]Nitpick: you mean 'prudence', not 'fortitude'.
>
> The word I wanted to use was FORTITUDE....AS in , do you have the Solid
> Foundations to do whats in your best interest EVEN when given the
> appealing options to screw yourself long term.

That's 'prudence'. To have 'fortitude' is to have the solid
foundations to do what's best (or in your best interest, if that's
your highest value, which I know isn't the case with you personally,
Whore baby) even when you're afraid to do so. Prudence is your
resistance to foolish action; fortitude is your resistance to wrongful
inaction and your ability to withstand misfortune.

Fortitude is the virtue extolled by street gangs, and a powerful
virtue it is.

> 2. That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person
> to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear

Danger --- not temptation;

> pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or

Adversity --- not plenty;

> despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness
> in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring
> trouble.
>
> Extolling patience as the truest fortitude.
> --Milton.
>
> Fortitude is the guard and support of the other
> virtues. --Locke.

See? I was right, you were wrong. You proved it yourself. Accept
your smackdown with fortitude and prudently refrain from defending
your error further. ;)