silly contests

From: Mike Masnick (mike@techdirt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 01:58:58 PDT

Oh, what the hell.

TechTV had contacted me a month or so ago to do a story on
GeekGirlServices.com and the reporter was the first (and only, that I know
of) person to *not* realize that it was a parody. Turns out that they
wanted to run a little contest where the winner would get to make use of
our "services". Or, at least that's what they did for the companion,
GeekBoyServices.com site:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,23008,3318310,00.html

Anyway, the TechTV person was apparently embarrassed to the point that she
never followed through on the whole story, so we just had to go ahead and
create our own damn contest:

http://www.techdirt.com/contest.shtml

I don't think it's serious, but I'm curious to see what sort of responses I
get (if any). I imagine it will be more popular with the geek segment of
the population, than the "hip urban chick" group.

Somehow, I know this is all going to come back to haunt me one of these
days...

 -Mike