Re: P2P + SSL + IP spoofing = circumvent blocklists = TriangleBoy = CIA-sponsored-tech

From: Jesse (jesse@fsck.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 22:26:03 PDT

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:13:28PM -0700, Gordon Mohr wrote:
> I guess this is why the CIA likes SafeWeb -- what could be
> more subversive against anti-american regimes than unfettered
> internet access?

Indeed! It certainly helped out during the August 1993 coup in Russia:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/russian-studies/aug-coup/irc-report/

(In addition to IRC, fidonet and uucp were used to help coordinate resistance
around the country, after lots of major media was seized by the coup's
ringleaders.

And yeah, these are all old bits, but I'm about to get on a plane to tokyo
to go backpacking around japan for a month. I'd love to see Rohit send
his winged minions to track me down there ;)

        Jesse

--
jesse reed vincent -- root@eruditorum.org -- jesse@fsck.com

Gur SOV jnagf gb znxr guvf fvt vyyrtny.