Re: Apologies, and some loose ends

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 23:38:06 PDT

One last random thought...

> > I thought someone who advocates a lack of food safety regulation
> > and /caveat emptor/ would also accept the application of /caveat
> > investor/ in parallel situations,

Actually, it should be obvious that there's no contradiction here. Both food
safety regulation and the various kinds of tax / securities regulatory impact
we've been discussing are examples of undesirable (IMO) interference in normal
market operation. If you believe that tax law and securities regulation (and any
additional risk they generate) are natural and attendant risks in the market
itself, then your caveat holds and the contradiction would be a head-scratcher.
If, however, you believe (as I do) that they are risks external to and imposed on
the market by ill-conceived government, the contradiction disappears and the
consternation becomes obvious and justified.

$0.02,

jb