Re: ZDNet - Security flaws in the 802.11 wireless LAN protocol.

From: Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:44:51 PDT

Steve Dossick <Steve@KnowNow.com> writes:

> Wireless lans are no better than a sloppy wired networking job. I have
> worked in places where the corporate firewall was in a shared datacenter in
> the basement of the building; any one of the tenants of the building could
> have gone in and tapped into anothers' network. Large organizations with
> open DHCP servers (giving out addresses to all comers) are also not
> particularly secure, but that doesnt stop people from setting them up.
>
> Any data which needs security should be transported over a more secure
> medium or encrypted first.

Yeah, the worry is that a squatter will clog the pipe, or that the
cops will bust down your door & take your equipment for something that
a squatter did. So it's not so much a question of data security as
authentication before access.

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/